Embarking on thrilling off-road adventures in your trusty Jeep is an experience like no other. However, as a passionate explorer, you understand the importance of optimizing your vehicle’s storage capacity without compromising its rugged appeal. That’s where a DIY Jeep roof rack enters the picture, offering the perfect solution to elevate your gear-hauling capabilities while exuding a touch of personal style. In this article, we delve into the world of roof racks, uncovering innovative ideas, step-by-step instructions, and creative enhancements that will transform your Jeep into the envy of fellow adventurers.
Get ready to embark on a journey of customization and practicality as we unlock the secrets to crafting a roof rack that perfectly suits your Jeep’s personality and your adventurous spirit.
1. Mike’s DIY jeep roof rack
Mike used tinktube’s construction material for his Jeep XJ roof rack build. He chose the black tubes and fittings and easily assembled the whole thing together.
Very happy with the quality and the overall look, he was able to complete the build to his specifications for about 1/3 of the cost of a pre-made roof rack! If you’re interested in building a similar project, here are the components he used:
- 1-1/16″ x 92″ Jet black steel pipe (PT-92-BK), which is a galvanized steel pipe painted with a stylish textured jet black finish.
- Tee connector black fitting set (HJ-1) – black painted metal joint set that consists of (x2) H-1, (x2) M6-25B bolts, and (x2) M6- N nuts.
- 90° Elbow black connector set (HJ-90) – black painted metal joint set that consists of (x2) H-90, (x2) M6-25B bolts and (x2) M6- N nuts.
The tools needed to assemble a similar project are simple:
- Pipe cutter (T-CUTTER) – Ideal for our 28mm pipe & can also cut EMT conduit.
- T handle wrench (T-HANDLE) – T-handle acts as a balanced weight to help you spin the wrench quickly, while allowing enough leverage and torque for all your builds.
Learn how to assemble T-connectors
The T-connector joint set is the most commonly used fitting to build any project with our standard 28 mm tube. It can also be used with a 3/4″ inch EMT conduit pipe when combined with the AO-SHIM adaptor.
Learn how to assemble HJ-90 joints
The elbow joint set creates 90 degree corners while adding aesthetics to any design. It’s easy to assemble with a 5 mm Allen key, as for all the other fittings. Let your imagination run wild and create all kinds of amazing projects!